Search This Blog

26 April 2016

day 05 - draft
Sunday, 10 April 2016 (draft)
Nasbinals to Sainte-Come-d'Olt
33 km today 149 km to date

Breakfast early and on the road before 7h30.  At first I am in open fields doing a cross country walk.  I don't realize it at the time but I am getting to the highest point in France at over 1,200 metres above sea level.  And am now walking between the pockets  of snow I had seen on the tops the day before.  So it is also cold.

As I start the descent I am passed by a young woman who was in the gite last night.  From here the descent is down many rock strewn stream beds interspersed with walking on roads and along muddy pathways.

About halfway down stop for a coffee noir at what is a bar at Saint-Chely Aubrac.  The route has more descents down stream beds and through a forest.  At the bottom meet a German man and his grandson - we exchange ages and I “beat” him by three years.

The last five kilometres into Sainte-Come is through pleasant country, but I can't pick what the agriculture is.

The first gite I encounter also has hotel rooms.  We are 20 plus for dinner even though only three of us are in the dormitory.

At my table is a group of six from Nice who just arrived that afternoon.  They invite me to join them fo pre-dinner drinks as one  (a teacher at  the international school in Monaco) speaks good English and two others have passable understanding.  After the meal one of them sings to a guitar and I access E Pari Ra on my tablet and do my best to sing along.

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment