Search This Blog

20 October 2017

day 38 – draft Thursday, 12 October 2017 Hontanas to Boadillo del Camino

day 38 – draft
Thursday, 12 October 2017
Hontanas to Boadillo del Camino
26 km today - 321 km on Camino Frances – 1,027 km from Le Puy - 467 to Santiago

I wake at 07h35 and should be out by 08h and leave by 08h20.  While having a croissant a woman in the albergue uniform comes to me and asks if I remember: of course I do. I take leave of the owner and make good time to Castrojeriz, 9 km on.  About 2 km before that I skirt through the ruins of a 15th century convent dedicated to San Anton: my understanding is we pass a typical west door into the church with its serried arches of, typically, saints and biblical figures telling gospel stories. 

At Castrojeriz the church at the eastern end is both a well ordered museum and a working parish church.  It is € 1 to enter and I say the morning office.  I go to a cafe opposite to augment my breakfast.  Castrojeriz is spread out around about half the circumference of a conical hill and takes almost 20 minutes from east to west.

After a 2 km stroll across a river valley I encounter a stroll up an escarpment: it is 1 km of linear distance and the rate of climb is 18%.  I calculate that to be an increase in elevation of 180 metres.  After putting on a short sleeve stop a young woman and I set out within a few seconds of one another.  She makes better progress but stops about 100 metres from the top and I pass her.  She restarts, passes me and reaches the top about 2 metres in front of me: the little red engine has done it again!  Our effort is short lived: after about 500 metres level we descend, at 18% again, for 350 metres linear losing  or 60 metres of elevation we had just gained!

The countryside appears to be exclusively agricultural (cropping) and the farm machinery is out in force.  Clouds of dust indicate the current area of activity.  My lunch stop is 12 km from Castrojeriz, Itero de Verga.  Here I introduce myself to 0.0% beer and find it refreshing.  Then the final 6 km today to Boadillo del Camino, passing over a bridge built some 500 or so years ago and also now used as part of a local road.

The albergue at Boadillo is quite new on the inside and, luxury of luxuries we have a top sheet and blanket.  Dinner is grand and I join Michael from Florida, Seamus from Ireland and Wilfred from Germany but now living in Sutherland in north-west Scotland (cherche la femme?). And these three were at dinner on Wednesday night at Hontanas.

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment