Search This Blog

28 September 2017

day 29 – draft Wednesday, 4 May 2016 Roncesvalles / Orreaga to Zabaldika

day 29 – draft
Wednesday, 4 May 2016
Roncevaux / Roncesvalles / Orreaga  to  Zabaldika
37 km today - 61 km on Camino Frances - 784 km to date

In the breakfast queue meet two Kiwis: from Rotorua and Christchurch.  On the road before 08h.

This is pleasant country to walk through.  The day is clear and not too warm, after all we are about 1000 metres (over 3,000 feet) above sea level.  Lots of ups and downs, and generally good pathways under foot.

The village of Zubiri is about 21 km from Orr Eagan so I cross the bridge away from the path to have a look.  The only cafe I can see is teeming with people and I decide to move on.  Larrasoana is another 6 km and I arrive here about midday.  Not a soul in sight and nothing open.  I find a seat in the square and eat porridge I had prepared two days ago and fruit bought two days ago.  The path now comprises stones and some mud, so move to the road as soon as I can.  And this is pleasant.


My intention of Zabaldika arrives and I ascend to the village.  This is a parish albergue and is very neat and tidy.  It backs on to the 16th century church.  There is also a community of three religious sisters of the Sacred Heart.  Os comes to greet each one of us: on hearing I am from Wellington in New Zealand she tells me they have a house there.  About 18h there is a ritual of greeting, explanation of the church and stamps in our pilgrim passports.  Communal dinner is about 7 pm and, back in the church, a shortened night prayer with individuals sharing why they are on this pilgrimage.  The sister what had greeted us is leading and she had warned me beforehand that she would ask me first.  So I tell them about Cathy.

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment