Search This Blog

28 September 2017

day 31 – draft Friday, 6 May 2016 Uterga to Estella / Lizarra

day 31 – draft
Friday, 6 May 2016
Uterga to Estella / Lizarra
30 km today - 115 km on Camino Frances  - 848 km to date 

Up with the early mob, breakfast and get going.  Today I have a small 5 km diversion to a unique octagonal chapel at the locality of Eunate dedicated to Santa Maria.  As I approach the chapel a worrying pain develops at the top of my right leg.  I immediately blame the huge strides I was taking yesterday coming down the Sierra del Perdon.  The chapel looks just like the online photos and is open at the weekend.  I decide not to wait.

Obanos is about 5 km away and I do the best I can to get there.  At the approach I am struck by the design of the church tower: it looks decidedly English in style, upright, square and with higher stone work (pinnacles) in each corner.  Another town with nothing apparently open and I move quickly towards Puente la Reina.  A nice busy town and I stop to say the morning office in an open church.  There is a grand bridge on the way out of town.

I stay on the way until Maneru where I take morning tea then take the road to Cirauqui.  Back to the way for the Roman bridge but soon wish I hadn't.  The descent through the ruins is extremely challenging (because of the pain in my right hip) as is the climb back up to the way.  Fortunately, the road adjoins the way at this point and I move on to it.  This relatively major road is wide, flat across its width with good wide shoulders and nice gradients, and little used.  It is grand to walk along.

A few km before Lizarra the discomfort level is too high and I hitch.  My driver knows exactly where the parish albergue is and takes me directly there.  Here I meet Juan Carlos, a volunteer hospitalero from Brazil.  He takes an interest in my condition and quickly commends me to bus forward to Logrono and from there go to my intended break at Barcelona.

I go and get some food to cook for dinner.


And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment